Record Details

NHER Number:18205
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval windmill

Summary

The site of a windmill is marked at this location on Bryant's map of 1826. The mill was built in around 1810 and was taken down in about 1900.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 182 119
Map Sheet:TG11SE
Parish:COSTESSEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1982.
Described wrongly in (S1) as standing by the watermill, built in 1816 and demolished about 1880.
[1] gives this site from (S2) (called Eastwood Mill).
Not shown on (S3) but appears on (S4).
Built about 1810, taken down about 1900.
Road to south now called Windmill Lane.
E. Rose (NAU), 28 June 1982.

Monument Types

  • WINDMILL (19th Century - 1810 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Costessey conservation area study.
<S2>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S4>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7).

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service