|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Roman or medieval objects|
Metal detecting recovered a group of Roman or medieval objects from a filled-in hollow. A fragment of chain with circular links was wrapped around two penannular bracelets and a wire circlet which was closed by a twisted wire. The soil used to fill the hollow had been washed through a sieve in a carrot machine so the objects may not have been originally deposited together.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 77 02|
|Parish:||GOODERSTONE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Early 1982. Metal detecting. In area of soil dumped to fill in hollow.
Soil had come from carrot machine through a sieve, so objects unlikely to have remained in group. Were they in original position?
1. Fragment of chain with circular links, now in pieces but thought to have been found complete, and wrapped around nos.2 to 4.
2. Penannular bracelet of round/oval section, diameter about 6cm.
3. As 2 but 1.2cm wide and hollow back.
4. Wire circlet, closed by twisted wire, oval 11cm 8.5cm.
Could all be Roman or medieval but not dateable
See (S1 and S2).
E. James (KLM), 7 June 1982.
- FINDSPOT (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRACELET (Undated)
- CHAIN (Undated)
- BRACELET (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- CHAIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BRACELET (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHAIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Unknown. 1982. Drawings of a Roman/medieval penannular bracelets and wire circlet.. Paper. Unknown. |
|<S2>||Photograph: CSH 16-20. |
Related records - none
Find out more...