Record Details

NHER Number:18107
Type of record:Building
Name:The Croft


This important early 16th century house has later additions and is possibly surrounded by a moat. The house is timber framed, two storeys tall and has a three cell plan. The solar stairs and screens passage survive. A ritual hoard was found in a fireplace. A ditch and pond to the south and east of the house may be the remains of a medieval moat. A prehistoric flint flake, Roman and post medieval pottery sherds have been found in the garden.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 1634 9402
Map Sheet:TM19SE

Full description

Cheney's Lane, Forncett St Mary.

June 1981. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
16th century timber-frame house. Plastered. Thatched roof with half-hipped ends. Large brick chimney stack off centre. One storey and attic. Ground floor modern casements. Attic gable with 5-light ovolo moulded mullion window with carved cornice, moulded plaster in gable, pendants and modern bargeboards. Under eaves (now blocked) are original windows with square section diagonally set mullions. Later dairy on east end with modern porch adjoining.
Interior chamfered ceiling beams and joists and chamfered fireplace bressumers.
Information from (S1).

May 1982.
Very important probably 15th century two storeyed house with original service stairs and mullioned windows with shutter grooves surviving. Unusual ?later main stairs; trances of screens passage. Restored.
Finds; several domestic items in house. In garden; base of Nene Valley Roman beaker, prehistoric struck flint flake, stone where sherds.
Identified by E. Rose (NAU) and A. Rogerson (NAU).
E. Rose (NAU), 28 May 1982.

April 2000. Visit.
House empty for several years, now undergoing restoration, new thatching undertaken at time of visit (owner not yet in residence). Ditch approx 16m long, 2m wide east to west. South of house, broadens into pond to east. Bridge to south with blocked exit hole into buck line culvert 1.8m long 1.5m wide. New drive has been constructed to west.
H. Paterson (A&E), 5 April 2000.

Important early example of a two storeyed timber framed house on the three cell plan, probably early 16th century, retaining solar stairs and screens passage, mostly unglazed windows but some small glazed examples. In about 1600 (perhaps 1630) extension added, stack extended, dormer inserted. Later alterations. Ritual hoard from fireplace.
Possible homestead moated site; from garden Roman and post medieval sherds and flint.
See full report (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 12 July 2000.

Monument Types

  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (15th Century to 19th Century - 1500 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (15th Century to 19th Century - 1500 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
  • LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BOOK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CAULDRON (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOULD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SHOE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SPOON (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • RELIGION OR RITUAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • RELIGION OR RITUAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999-2000. [Sale advertisements of The Croft, Forncett].
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 342.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: CBB 1-11.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1152589.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. 2000. Building Survey.

Related records

MNO6652Related to: The Croft Cheneys Lane FORNCETT ST MARY FORNCETT (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service