Record Details

NHER Number:17877
Type of record:Building
Name:Guist Bridge, a post medieval toll bridge


This former toll bridge was probably built in 1773 by William Norton a local landowner. The bridge is marked on Faden's map of Norfolk made in 1797.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9966 2507
Map Sheet:TF92NE

Full description

Marked as Guist Bridge on (S1) suggesting that the present bridge further west may have superceded it. Red brick building set partly on bridge over river, which bears plaque with date 177? (2?). Not marked on any map as tollgate and not comparable to any known Norfolk tollhouse. This may therefore have been a private venture and the tolls were for the bridge only. [1] reports meeting a man who could remember paying tolls there.
S. White (NAU), 22 January 1982.

June 2002. Listed, Grade II.
(S2) states that the date is 1773. A stone tablet marked with WN for William Norton, local landowner, and 1773 can be seen on the parapet of the downstream side of the bridge. The bridge is marked on (S3).
For further information see list description.
E. Rose (NLA), 14 August 2002.

National Grid Reference corrected from original TF 9969 2505.
M. Horlock (NLA), 13 April 2003.

Monument Types

  • TOLL BRIDGE (18th Century to 19th Century - 1773 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). TF 9925A.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Photograph: CPN 19 (old), Q31.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF3483.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1360807.
<S3>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service