Record Details

NHER Number:17836
Type of record:Monument
Name:Probable Neolithic flint working site


A large number of Neolithic worked flints including an axehead, two axehead roughouts, flakes, a scraper and a knife made from a retouched flake were found by fieldwalking and metal detecting. This is probably a Neolithic flint working site. Medieval pottery and metal finds were also recovered.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 19 03
Map Sheet:TG10SE

Full description

January 1982. Surface of field west of Foxburrow Plantation.
Large sample of large flakes from primary working site.
Also one broken axe or roughout.
Factory site?
Finder's site 343a.
A. Lawson (NAU), January 1982.

May 1983. Found in fieldwalking.
Chipped flint axehead.
W. Milligan (NCM), 27 May 1983.

March 1985. As last.
Flint axe roughout.
W. Milligan (NCM), 3 April 1985.

September 1989. Found with metal detector and in fieldwalking.
Neolithic flint.
Two flakes.
Hollow scraper and knife made on retouched flakes.
Medieval pottery; three sherds and early medieval rim.
Medieval gilt casket mount.
Bronze buckle and plate with moulded decoration on frame.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • LITHIC WORKING SITE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • AXEHEAD ROUGHOUT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • FLAKE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • KNIFE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • SCRAPER (TOOL) (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • BOX (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FURNITURE FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service