|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Bacon House 33 Colegate, and 35 Colegate|
A former house, now divided into a house, office, club and flats. It started as a 15th century range on St George's Street, added to in an anti-clockwise direction in the 16th and 17th centuries until it became a courtyard house, the north range of which has now gone. The house is named after Henry Bacon, twice mayor of Norwich, who died in 1567. His merchant's mark appears on the left doorway.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23029 09036|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
February 1954. Listed, Grade II*.
Listing Description Excerpt:
“Including Nos.33 and 35 St. Georges Street and 11,12, and 13 Lowes Yard… 15th-century range in St Georges Street added to, in anti-clockwise direction, in the 16th century, 17th century and later alterations. 20th-century renovation. Flint with stone dressings. Brick. Timber-frame south and east ranges first floor. Pantile roofs. Large courtyard house, north range demolished.”
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current details.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 5 September 2017. Amended H. Hamilton (HES), 8 November 2019. Amended by P. Beers (HES), 10 June 2020.
August 1974. Excavation.
Excavation for Norwich Survey in advance of restoration work by Norwich City Engineers.
11th- to 12th-century occupation with industrial activity.
13th- to 16th-century yard surfaces and pits from back yards of houses fronting onto St Georges Street or Colegate.
Bell pit containing late 15th century Hispano-Moresque pottery.
Bacons House built on top of up to 100cm thick soil makeup.
Lowest levels contained bottoms of two barrel-lined wells.
'Architectural stonework'; large quantities incorporated in walls of Bacon's house and its associated outbuildings.
No trace of the western ditch of north Saxon defences.
See (S2) for further details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S3) and the pottery assemblage is amongst those listed in (S4).
1977. Field Observation.
Trench dug across northern edge of 1974 excavation.
Nothing visible apart from loose soil and brick rubble make-up. No finds.
For further details see file.
Former schedule (now descheduled) in file.
E. Rose (NAU).
For further details on Bacon's House itself see notes on outline sequence (S5) and architects' plans (S6). This building is also described in detail in thesis (S7), which considers the 13th- to 17th-century buildings of Norwich. It is noted in (S8) that a roll-moulded shop door and other features were discovered in 1990.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 5 September 2017.
- BELL PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CESS PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- YARD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Medieval to 21st Century - 1400 AD to 2100 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF14762. |
|---||Photograph: Unknown. Unknown photograph. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 285. |
|---||Record Card: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Roberts, J. P. 1975. [Norwich Survey] Excavations in Norwich 1974. |
|---||Monograph: English Heritage. 1987. Scheduled Ancient Monuments Record: Norfolk. |
|<S1>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051320. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Roberts, J. P., Donaldson, P., Cleary, E. and Dunmore, S. L. 1975. Excavations in Norwich - 1974. The Nowich Survey - Fourth Interim Report. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt II pp 99-110. pp 108-109. |
|<S3>||Serial: 1974. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1974. No 21. p 7. |
|<S4>||Monograph: Jennings, S. 1981. Eighteen Centuries of Pottery from Norwich. East Anglian Archaeology. No 13. |
|<S5>||Unpublished Document: [Norwich Survey staff]. Bacon House, Colegate. Outline sequence. |
|<S6>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S7>||Thesis: Smith, R. 1990. An Architectural History of Norwich Buildings, c. 1200 - 1700. Unpublished Thesis. p 393. |
|<S8>||Article in Serial: Smith, R. 1996. Garsett House. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 362-373. p 362. |
|Site 1612||Parent of: Bacons House, 31 Colegate (Monument)|
|Site 2038||Parent of: Bacons House, 31 Colegate (Monument)|
|Site 2039||Parent of: Bacons House, 31 Colegate (Monument)|
Find out more...