Record Details

NHER Number:17016
Type of record:Monument
Name:World War Two section post


A World War Two section post is visible on 1940 and 1941 aerial photographs. It can still be seen today, and is one of only two examples in Norfolk.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3481 3355
Map Sheet:TG33SW

Full description

Pill box.
Roughly L-shaped, brick.
Five concrete chamfered loopholes in north and west sides each.
Original information from Pillbox Survey.
Accurately located by E. Rose (NAU), 4 February 1981.

See record form in file by source [1], who adds:
Very rare 1940 L Section post; one of only two in Norfolk.
Survey No. H1-18.
D.Walker (NLA), August 1996.

November 2004. Norfolk NMP. Watch House Lane.
An extant World War Two L-shaped section post is visible on aerial photographs (S2 to 5). The grid reference for this structure has been adjusted from TG 3482 3355 to TG 3481 3356. It was not present on aerial photographs dating to 16 August 1940 (S2), but had been constructed by 16 July 1941 (S3). An oblique aerial photograph dating to 7 August 1941 shows it camouflaged as a haystack (S4). The structure is still extant (S5).
(S2 to 5)
J. Albone (NMP), 26 November 2004

Monument Types

  • PILLBOX (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • SECTION POST (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S2>Oblique Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1940. NMR TG 3433/47 (MSO 31015 2A/BR14/5 3646) 16-AUG-1940.
<S3>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1941. RAF S/330 22-3 16-JUL-1941 (NMR).
<S4>Oblique Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1941. NMR TG 3433/50 (MSO 31255 S378/H50 72) 07-AUG-1941.
<S5>Vertical Aerial Photograph: Environment Agency. 2002. EA 040 AF/02C/339 6974-5 22-JUL-2002 (EA).

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service