Record Details

NHER Number:17015
Type of record:Monument
Name:World War Two pillbox


An extant World War Two pillbox and a destroyed weapons pit are visible on aerial photographs.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3446 3374
Map Sheet:TG33SW

Full description

Pill box. On New Road (Mill Lane).
Brick, octagonal, chamfered concrete loopholes.
Original information from Pillbox Survey.
Accurately located by E. Rose (NAU), 4 February 1981.

See record form in file by source [1], who adds:
Common type 22C pillbox with cast concrete loops, unusual for this area. Date 1940.
Survey No. H1-17.
D.Walker (NLA),August 1996.

November 2004. Norfolk NMP.
A World War Two hexagonal pillbox and weapons pit are visible on aerial photographs (S2 to 5). The grid reference for this pillbox has been adjusted from TG 3444 3378 to TG 3445 3374. It appears to be under construction on 16 August 1940 aerial photographs (S2) and is still extant (S5). A weapons pit is visible 20m to the east of the pillbox on the opposite side of the road on 1940 and 1941 aerial photographs (S2 to 4).
(S2 to 5)
J. Albone (NMP), 26 November 2004

Monument Types

  • PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22) (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • PILLBOX (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • WEAPONS PIT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S2>Oblique Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1940. NMR TG 3433/49 (MSO 31015 2A/BR14/5 3648) 16-AUG-1940.
<S3>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1941. RAF S/358 12-3 30-JUL-1941 (NMR).
<S4>Oblique Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1941. NMR TG 3433/52 (MSO 31255 S378/H50 74) 07-AUG-1941.
<S5>Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A.. 1986. NHER TG 3433AR-AS (NLA 184/DCU29-30) 29-JUL-1986.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service