Record Details

NHER Number:16975
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of nonconformist chapel and burial ground

Summary

This is one of the earliest nonconformist burial grounds in Norfolk. It was founded in 1672 and the oldest gravestone dates to 1675. This now forms part of a private garden. An 18th century house to the south of the burial ground may have been the chapel. It has now been converted into two cottages.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3843 2654
Map Sheet:TG32NE
Parish:INGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

January 1981. Visit. Burial ground.
According to (S1) Bryant one of the oldest nonconformist burial grounds in the country. Founded in 1672, the oldest gravestone was dated 1675. This now forms part of a private garden. The headstones have regrettably been rearranged in a triangular layout. All are weathered but most are of 19th century type. The house to the south may have been the chapel. It has a round headed brick doorway in its north gable wall. It is now divided into two cottages and appears externally to be of late 18th century date.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 January 1981.
-

Monument Types

  • CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of Happing. The Churches of Norfolk.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service