Record Details

NHER Number:16716
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Haddiscoe steam pumping station


This is the site of a 19th century pumping station. It was a brick and timber framed building that housed a steam pump; it has been demolished and replaced with a modern building.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 458 986
Map Sheet:TM49NE

Full description

Pumping Station.
Brick building across dyke with well underneath. Timber framed weatherboarded upper storey. About 1850.
Firebox replaced in either 1878 or 1898 (date not clear). Now houses modern diesel pump. Chimney gone.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 3 November 1980.

Apparently demolished and replaced by brick pumphouse.
E. Rose (NAU), 28 April 1982.

(S2) states it was built in 1865; the date on the boiler is 1898; the house has been demolished but the engine is at Strumpshaw Steam Museum.
E. Rose (NLA), 31 May 2000.

The engine was subsequently moved to a museum in Fleggburgh but is now no longer in Norfolk.
A. Yardy (HES), 04 February 2012.

Monument Types

  • PUMPING STATION (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1865 AD to 1980 AD?)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1865 AD to 1980 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Photograph: Ashley, H.. 1971. Six photographic prints of Haddiscoe Pumping Station. Print, b&w.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.
<S2>Article in Serial: Wood, A.. 1999. A Steam Drifting Over the Reeds.. NIAS Journal. Vol 6, No 4. p 19.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service