|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Post medieval watermill|
This post medieval watermill was used to drive machinery in a barn, to saw timber and to pump water to Foulden Hall. It was rebuilt in 1869 with French burr stones by Lord Amherst. The building has now been restored.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 7692 9853|
|Parish:||FOULDEN, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Used to drive machinery in barn, to saw timber and to pump water to Foulden Hall.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 3 November 1980.
Under restoration .
See newspaper reports in file (S2), (S3) and (S4).
Stated to have been rebuilt with French burr stones in 1869 by Lord Amherst.
Mill is not noted in any directories, nor is it named on any maps (although it is marked as a building). It is possible that the mill was owned and worked by the Foulden Hall estate, as opposed to being a commercial venture.
NIAS records (S6)
W. Arnold (HES), 4 January 2011.
- WATERMILL (19th Century - 1838 AD? to 1900 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society records. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Waterwheel wonder…. 17 March. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. [Article and letters to the editor on the potential dismantle of the Foulden watermill if no tourist signs are received]. 11 January. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. Keeping the mill wheels turning. 20 January. |
|<S5>||Serial: 1989. Brick Bulletin.. November No 43. |
|<S6>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
Related records - none
Find out more...