|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Cropmark of ring ditch|
A ring ditch, possibly dating to the Bronze Age, is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs. Documentary evidence shows a mill mound at this location.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6269 0521|
|Parish:||WIMBOTSHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Ordnance Survey air photograph.
Cropmarks of ring ditch approximately 20m diameter.
There is evidence of an opposing causewayed entrance.
J. Bown (NAU) 5 September 1980.
See 6 inch and 1:2500 overlays; County Series map 57/14.
William Hayward's map of 1626 (NRO Hare Additional 6812/1, 2) shows a mill mound at this grid reference. Accompanying field book (NRO 4385 213 x 5) shows this to have lain at the west end or parcel no. 144 in precinct 16, an open field furlong known as Sallow alias Milhilfurlonge. The land was customary and held of the manor of Stowe.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 26 February 2008.
- RING DITCH (Unknown date)
- SITE (Unknown date)
- RING DITCH (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- SITE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: OS AP 491 76125. Unit TF6205 A,B. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: OS 76-125-438. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: OS 76-125-440. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Map: Hayward, W.. 1626. William Hayward's map. Map. |
Related records - none
Find out more...