|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Post medieval windmill|
This is the site of a post medieval windmill that is marked on old maps and went out of use and was replaced by NHER 11010 in 1919.
Images - none
Immediately west of church.
Site of windmill. Marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 28 July 1980.
Grid reference corrected by informant. A postmill existing pre 1780 (but not on (S2)) replaced in 1834 by one of the earliest beam engines in Norfolk. Replaced in 1919 by petrol driven flour mill (NHER 11010) on main road. NHER 11010 was wrongly given as site of windmill in Conservation Area plan and formerly numbered NHER 13727.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 February 1982.
- WINDMILL (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1824 AD? to 1919 AD)
- BEAM ENGINE (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1834 AD to 1919 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
Related records - none
Find out more...