Record Details

NHER Number:16361
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval windmill


A windmill is marked at this location on an Ordnance Survey map dating from 1836. The mill was built in 1818, closed in 1890 and was demolished in 1902.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 5267 1207
Map Sheet:TG51SW

Full description

Site of windmill, 'East Mill'.
Marked on 1836 1st edition 1in Ordnance Survey map (S1).
Siting is not very clear; apparently site destroyed by railway.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 July 1980.

No, site is that of No.s 114-120 Beach Road, behind Mill Road.
Tower mill built 1818, closed 1890, demolished 1902.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 January 1982.

Monument Types

  • WINDMILL (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1818 AD to 1902 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Map: Ordnance Survey. 1836. 1836 1st edition.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service