Record Details

NHER Number:16360
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval windmill


A post medieval windmill is marked at this location on Bryant's map of 1826. In October 1861 the building was dismantled and rebuilt in Rockland All Saints.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 5206 1259
Map Sheet:TG51SW

Full description

Site of windmill, apparently a very large one. Marked on 1836 1st edition 1in Ordnance Survey map.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 21 July 1980.

Post mill. Also shown on Bryant's map of 1826, labelled 'North Mill'.
See (S2).
Taken down October 1861 and sent to Rockland All Saints for use as steam mill.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 January 1982.

Mentioned in (S3) where wrong grid reference is given.

Monument Types

  • POST MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1836. 1836 1st edition.
<S2>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
<S3>Article in Serial: Rye, C. G. 1975. The End of the Corn Mills in the Fleggs. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt II pp 185-190. p 187.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service