Record Details

NHER Number:16334
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of wind pump and pumping station


This is the site of a post medieval wind pump, shown on an Ordnance Survey map of 1836. The pump was replaced by a pumping station with an oil driven engine in 1897, and which was demolished in 1959 during the construction of the Relief Channel.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 5928 0159
Map Sheet:TF50SE

Full description

Site of Park Mill (grinding or wind pump?).
Marked on (S1).
Site now destroyed by Cut Off Channel.
E. Rose (NAU) 18 July 1980.

No records of wind mill, probably a drainage mill.
E. Rose (NAU) 2 February 1982.

(S2) adds: wind pump replaced 1897 by horizontal oil engine driving 5.4m horizontal spindle pump.
Changed to a Gwynne 17hp oil engine at some time before 1950.
Destroyed by construction of Relief Channel 1959.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 October 2004.

Monument Types

  • PUMPING STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WIND PUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S2>Article in Serial: Hinde, K.. 2004. Pumping Stations in the Norfolk Fens Part 3, East of Ouse.. NIAS Journal. vol 7, pt 4, p 90..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service