Record Details

NHER Number:16319
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval tower mill

Summary

This is the site of a tower mill shown on Bryant's map of 1826. The mill was last used in 1900 and was demolished in 1913. Metal detecting has been carried out on the site but no finds were recovered.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6228 0537
Map Sheet:TF60NW
Parish:WIMBOTSHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of wind mill.
Marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 17 July 1980.

Tower mill.
Last used 1900. Demolished 1913.
E. Rose (NLA), 24 March 1982.

November 1994. Metal detecting.
Area around NHER 16319 no finds.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 13 December 1994.

Windmill also marked on (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), November 2001.

Monument Types

  • TOWER MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S2>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service