|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval windmill|
A windmill was located here as early as 1729. It is marked on the tithe map as a smock mill, and also appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1836. It was disused in 1880 and isn't shown on a Ordnance Survey map of 1883, suggesting it may have been demolished by this date.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 7130 9024|
|Parish:||FELTWELL, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of wind mill.
Marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 3 June 1980.
There as early as 1729. Drawn on (S2) as a smock mill. Disused around 1880 and not on (S3).
- SMOCK MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Map: Feltwell Tithe Map. |
|<S3>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. Ordnance Survey first edition 25 inch (1880's ?) map. OS. |
|<S4>||Serial: Orange. History of Feltwell. Vol II. |
Related records - none
Find out more...