|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Neolithic pits, Iron Age pits, and possible Roman pottery kiln|
Neolithic pits containing flint flakes and pottery, excavated in 1980, suggest that domestic activity was taking place close to this site in the Neolithic period. A possible Roman pottery kiln was also revealed.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 221 241|
|Parish:||BRAMPTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
20 to 23 May 1980.
Site of new barn, immediately north of Street Farm.
Salvage excavations during earth moving for new barn.
Neolithic pits/shafts, Iron Age pits, Roman features including 1 probable and 1 possible pottery kiln.
See file for full details including drawings and photographs.
Some pottery could be Bronze Age and Beaker.
See (S1) for full publication.
A. Gregory (NAU) 28 May 1980.
- OCCUPATION SITE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- PIT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- PIT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POTTERY KILN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POTTERY WORKS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- POT (Beaker - 2300 BC to 1700 BC)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- KILN FURNITURE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- KILN WASTE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Article in Serial: Healy, F. 1984. Recent Finds of Neolithic Bowl Pottery in Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXIX Pt I pp 65-82. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Healey, F. 1983. Neolithic and Later Material from a Shaft at Brampton. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVIII Pt III pp 363-374. |
Related records - none
Find out more...