|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of windmill|
The site of a post medieval windmill marked on an Ordnance Survey map of 1836. Earthworks of medieval to post medieval boundaries formerly at this site are recorded under NHER 54667.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1336 9644|
|Parish:||ASHWELLTHORPE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of wind mill.
Marked on 1836 1 inch OS, see (S1)
E. Rose (NAU), 27 March 1980.
First post mill was replaced around 1815 by another.
Marked by OS in 1910, see (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 29 January 1982.
March 2012. Norfolk NMP.
A series of earthwork ditches and banks were mapped in the vicinity of this site from aerial photographs, see NHER 54667 for details. These would appear to predate the post medieval mills and associated structures and boundaries, however it is feasible that they relate to an earlier mill at the site, possible medieval or earlier post medieval in date.
S. Horlock (NMP), 05 March 2012.
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7). |
Related records - none
Find out more...