Record Details

NHER Number:15964
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of two windmills


This site of a two windmills, one postmill and one tower mill, is marked on the Ordnance Survey first edition map. They were out of use by 1937 and were destroyed during World War Two. Excavation on the site of the nearby miller's house found ritually deposited bones of a goose.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 0601 9609
Map Sheet:TM09NE

Full description

Site of wind mill.
Marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 27 March 1980.

Two mills - post and tower, on (S2). Both out of use 1937. Tower demolished in World War Two by Americans.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 January 1982.

Base excavated as garden feature. Information from Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society. [1].
E. Rose (NAU), 21 June 1985.

Under floor of associated miller’s house; sysnsacrum and pelvis of small goose/large duck. Ritual deposit?
E. Rose (NLA), 27 September 2004.

Monument Types

  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
  • RITUAL ARTEFACT (Unknown date)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Unpublished Document: Irwin, A.G.. 2004. Email. 22 September.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S2>Map: Greenwood, C. & J.. 1834. Map of the County of Norfolk from an Actual Survey.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service