Record Details

NHER Number:15834
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of a post medieval lime kiln


This is the site of a post medieval lime kiln. The kiln had clunch walls with a tunnel vault of red brick stretchers. It was used until World War Two by Henry Smith. The kiln has now been demolished.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 80156 43379
Map Sheet:TF84SW

Full description

Lime kiln.
Clunch walls with tunnel vault of red brick stretchers. Brickwork in bowl very well laid, some vertically. Nearby a low brick arch in wall of pit like tunnel entrance, but only about 1.5m (5 feet) deep, ending in back wall composed of clunch. Not on (S1) (but a barn nearby is dated 1815). Used until World War Two by Henry Smith. Bat roosting site. Owner's willing to preserve.
E. James (KLM) 26 February 1980.

Marked on (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 13 March 2001.

Kiln apparently destroyed between 1980 visit and present. However, no trace of recent work.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 October 2003.

Monument Types

  • LIME KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---*Verbal Communication: 2003. James, E..
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service