Record Details

NHER Number:15702
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval lime kiln and Roman coin

Summary

A post medieval lime kiln, engine house, and an unusual domed structure, buried underground. The exact purpose of the domed chamber is unknown, it may have been used for storing lime. A Roman coin was found on the site in 1985.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 704 277
Map Sheet:TF72NW
Parish:FLITCHAM WITH APPLETON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Limeworks.
Lime kiln in side of pit, of brick on a chalk base, this latter appears to be artificial and to be cemeted together with flints. Lime sluices in wide recesses. Tulieres rise direct from roof of passage and are wide and oval. Nearby a brick engine house of some sort of more recent date. On further side of pit a huge buried brick dome. The walls are of normal
brickwork but abruptly change to end on bricks for the dome. Simple doorway in exposed section of side wall; niches each side on interior. Hole in centre of dome, and two shafts or tulieres rising from rear. Floor partly of brick. Buttresses each side of door on exterior. Certainly not a conventional lime kiln, but neither an icehouse as no tunnel, and shafts rule this out.
It is said there was formerly some sort of metal construction under the central shaft and that this may have been some other type of kiln but this is dubious. Piles of chalk inside may indicate a lime store, but again this seems more like a reuse.
Very odd.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 31 January 1980.

December 1985.
For circumstances of discovery see Notes.
As of Commodus, dateable by offices to AD 181.
Reverse: Providence with list of titles.
Identified by E. James (KLM) 3 January 1986.

1992.
The small lime kiln was found to have been buried in mud and English Nature were to contact the Royal estates to have it dug out.
Information from [1].

See also NIAS records note (S1)
W. Arnold (HES) 08/12/2010

Monument Types

  • ENGINE HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LIME KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • UNDERGROUND STRUCTURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service