Record Details

NHER Number:15623
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of a post medieval drainage windmill


This is the site of a post medieval drainage windmill marked on Faden's map of 1797 and Bryant's map of 1826. By the first edition 1 inch OS Map of 1837-8, the mill had been removed and a new site established to the west.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 411 116
Map Sheet:TG41SW

Full description

West of Wey Bridge, south of river.
Site of drainage mill marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 7 January 1980.

Also appears to be marked in this location on (S2) but had been removed and new site established to the west on (S3) see NHER 8606.
A. Yardy (HES), 28 July 2011.

Monument Types

  • DRAINAGE MILL (18th Century to 19th Century - 1780 AD to 1836 AD?)
  • WINDMILL (18th Century to 19th Century - 1780 AD? to 1836 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service