Record Details

NHER Number:15451
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Hall Farm (formerly Brinton Old Hall)


A 16th or 17th century two storey building of flint with brick dressings and a pantiled roof. Nearby stand a 17th century barn, and a former granary converted to residential use in the 17th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0334 3594
Map Sheet:TG03NW

Full description

November 1979.
Two storeyed flint building; original upper windows blocked; one under eaves long and low, another small over door.
One blocked on ground floor also. 16th or early 17th century.
1984 listing adds only; lobby entrance; diaper work on gable walls and 17th century brick barn.
E. Rose (NLA), November 1979.

Farmstead previously known as Brinton Old Hall.
Flint and brick house on three cell lobby entrance plan, 17th century details, fine internal door and staircase, but latter may be inserted in a cross passage and there is some evidence that the house pre dates the 17th century. Fragment of carved stone.
Adjacent cottage was a granary converted to residential in 17th century.
Barn also of two periods of work.
See full report in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 14 April 2003.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GRANARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1049428 and 1170683.
---Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2003. Building Report.. Building Report.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service