|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Post medieval post mill|
This post mill was built in 1770, is shown on Faden's map of 1797 and was last used in 1916. It was demolished in 1937 but its foundations remain. Of the outbuildings associated with the mill, only one barn remains. The quarter bars of the mill sail have been incorporated into the roof of the barn.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 387 209|
|Parish:||CATFIELD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of wind mill.
Marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 7 November 1979.
A post mill built in 1770, last used 1916, demolished 1937. Foundations remain.
Information from .
E. Rose (NAU), 2 February 1982.
However (S2) in file says that windmill was dismantled in 'about' 1925. But the accompanying picture of a house was taken 1938 and there may be some confusion. 's date of 1937 is more likely to be correct.
E. Rose (NLA), 23 June 1993.
In 1782 the site consisted of the mill, two barns, two stables, a bullock lodge with a granary over it, sheds and cart lodges. These buildings were still present in 1906, but in 2008 only one barn and the house remain.
A section of the windmill sail is now at Bridewell Museum, Norwich. The quarter bars from the sail were incorporated into the roof of the barn when it was altered in 1939 and will be retained during restoration work and conversion to a residence in 2008.
Information from (S3).
H. Hamilton (NLA), 19 February 2008.
- HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1770 AD? to 2100 AD)
- WINDMILL (18th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1770 AD to 1937 AD)
- BARN (18th Century to 21st Century - 1782 AD? to 2100 AD)
- GRANARY (18th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1782 AD? to 1937 AD?)
- STABLE (18th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1782 AD? to 1937 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. Men at work as village enjoys 1938 sunshine. 23 June. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Palmer, R.. 2008. Proposed Conversion of Barn to Annex, at Mill House, Ludham Road, Catfield.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...