|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of 19th and early 20th century tannery|
This is the site of a 19th and early 20th century tannery. The tannery was established before 1838 and closed in 1950. Tannery sheds, a wool shed, stables, an office and a house remain, as does a wool washing shed that has been converted into a bungalow. The tanning pits are now infilled and grassed over and only traces of a narrow gauge railway leading from the pits to sheds survives.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9970 1997|
|Parish:||HOE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Established before 1838, tanning ended 1930s, closed 1950.
Tannery sheds, wool shed, stables, office and house remain. Wool washing shed now a bungalow but culvert remains.
Tanning pits grassed over.
Traces of 18 inch gauge railway from pits to sheds.
16 September 1979, Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society survey, see (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 24 October 1979.
NGR corrected from original TF 9997 1995.
M. Horlock (NLA), 27 March 2003.
- RAILWAY (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1845 AD to 1908 AD)
- TANNERY (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1845 AD to 1908 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: NIAS. 1980. [unknown]. NIAS Journal. Vol II, No 5. |
Related records - none
Find out more...