Record Details

NHER Number:15008
Type of record:Building
Name:Norfolk Heights, formerly Docking Union Workhouse (Burnt Stalk)


A former workhouse, built in 1836 by John Browne. The central façade has recessed arches around the windows and ornamental brickwork. During World War One the building was used as the officers mess for Sedgeford airfield (NHER 13162). The workhouse has now been converted into houses.


  • The early 19th century workhouse in Docking has been converted into housing  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TF 74929 37047
Map Sheet:TF73NW

Full description

6 June 1979. Visit.
1836 by John Brown.
Red brick, 36 bays overall.
Large three storey 6 bay centre, the end bays projecting with ornamental brick panelling etc. and blank windows on sides. Recessed bays have round headed windows on first floor and small blank square windows below top storey.
Porches against projecting bays.
This section has a courtyard behind.
The wings of 15 bays each are lower, 2 storeys, with pedimented slightly projecting central 3 bays.
These wings are occupied as houses but the centre is derelict.
E. Rose (NAU) 6 June 1979.

Used as officers mess for Sedgeford airfield from 1916 to 1920 (see NHER 13162).

Being converted to housing.

October 1993.
Seen briefly in passing.
All restored, facade covered in stucco.
E. Rose (NLA) 4 October 1993.

Monument Types

  • WORKHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • OFFICERS MESS (World War One - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF7437 A-E.
---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1999. [Sale advertisement for flats in the converted former Docking Union Workhouse]. 12 February.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990. Now you can live in a workhouse!. 6 July.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 308.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1989. Council 'blunder' over homes sale. 27 June.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service