|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Remains of a skeleton drainage mill, south of Ludham Bridge|
Remains of a late 19th century skeleton drainage mill. The lower part of the mill survives as the turbine was later adapted to be belt driven by a tractor or similar.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3739 1691|
|Parish:||HORNING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
March 1979. Visit.
Site of Jay's Mill
Only an overgrown mound remains.
E. Rose (NAU), 16 March 1979.
See (S1) in May 1977 he photographed four brick supports and iron wheel above pumphole. These have either been removed, or become so overgrown they are incorporated in the mound.
(S2) drawing confirms as trestle or skeleton mill at that time complete.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 September 1983.
6 July 1994. NLA air photography.
Structure of mill visible but overgrown.
M. Brennand (NLA), 13 March 2001.
- DRAINAGE MILL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1897 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG3716/P, Q. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Smith. 1978. Drainage windmills of the Norfolk marshes: a contemporary survey. |
|<S2>||Publication: Maxwell, D.. 1925. Unknown Norfolk. p 69. 2. |
Related records - none
Find out more...