Record Details

NHER Number:14488
Type of record:Building
Name:White Hart Inn, Market Street

Summary

White Hart Inn is based on a 17th-century timber-framed house which was one room deep. The current façade was added in the 18th century, at the same time as
the two-storey saloon wing at the rear. This building contains beams reused from a pre-1616 house.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1098 0152
Map Sheet:TG10SW
Parish:WYMONDHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

White Hart Inn, Market Street.

December 1950. Listed, Grade II.

17th century with gallery hidden by exterior which is 18th century (according to Listing) or 19th century (according to A. Carter). Roof beams are 16th century reused from before fire of 1615 (A. Carter).
Information from record card (S1). Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 21 March 2022.

February 1980. Field Observation.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU).
Red brick facade could indeed be either late 18th or early 19th century. Carriage arch has massive beams in its ceiling, one shaped at ends with sockets for uprights. Timber framing also visible at rear. Massive (but rebuilt) central chimney.
Compiled by E. Rose, 13 February 1980. Information from record card (S1).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 21 March 2022.

December 1980.
Pipe trench cut under carriage arch revealed no foundations or traces. Note brickwork of facade above carriage arch is slightly different to main facade.
Information from record card (S1).

1994 revised listing (S2) states original timber frame was one room deep, and facade is 18th century going with an added saloon at the rear. Two light ovolo moulded window remains encased in former rear wall. Ground floor has sunk quadrant bridging beam with jewelled tongue stops to west; beam to east has polygonal tongue stops 'of Market Cross design'. First floor with expanded principal studs, tension braces at corners, sunk quadrant bridging beam. Saloon has wall niches, some with pediments, and pilasters.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 6 June 1994.

Excerpt of current Listing Description:
"Public House. Early 17th-century timber-framed inn, probably immediately after fire of 1616, with a mid-18th-century saloon and brick façade. Pantiled roof, black glazed to front. Two storey façade in seven bays plus bay over segmental carriage entrance to west (left). Doorway in third bay (from left) entered through double-leaf three-panel doors...All sashes with mid-18th-century glazing bars and flush frames. Gabled roof with internal gable-end stacks and ridge stack left of centre. Rear with a mid-18th-century rendered two-storey gabled cross wing to east (the saloon)..."
Information from (S2).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S2) for the full listing details, including descriptions of notable internal features.
P. Watkins (HES), 21 March 2022.

Monument Types

  • INN (17th Century to 21st Century - 1616 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (17th Century to 21st Century - 1616 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 800.
<S1>Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S2>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1218384.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service