Record Details

NHER Number:14160
Type of record:Building
Name:Methodist Chapel and Chapel Cottage, Bilney Road, Bittering Street


A 17th century timber framed cottage, with an early 19th century clay lump and brick chapel. The chapel was originally built as a school, before becoming a Methodist chapel in the 1920s.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9602 1693
Map Sheet:TF91NE

Full description

1988. Field Observation.
A timber framed cottage that appears to be a barn (possibly 16th century) into which a stack and upper floor were inserted in the 17th century. The south end was later rebuilt. Traces of coloured pargetting were found sealed inside an outbuilding in 1988. The chapel was built in 1816 as a school and chapel, taken over by Methodists 1923.
Still in use.
Listed Grade II, see (S1).
See (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 10 March 1988.

Methodist Chapel added to a pair of cottages. This building has low rendered walls and a pantiled roof. It was refitted in the late 19th Century.
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 15 October 2012.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
  • SCHOOL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1816 AD to 2100 AD)
  • UNITED METHODIST FREE CHAPEL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1816 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077369.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Struggle to keep cottage chapel alive. 24 February.
<S4>Monograph: Stell, C. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. p 244.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service