Record Details

NHER Number:13770
Type of record:Building
Name:The Square

Summary

This former 16th and 17th century timber framed farmhouse has been subdivided into different houses. The building has an L-shaped plan. The east wing dates to the 16th century. It was originally an open hall. The first floor was inserted in the 18th century. The south wing was built in the 17th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1304 0916
Map Sheet:TG10NW
Parish:MARLINGFORD, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

House; open hall house, 16th century.
Chimneys inserted and hall ceiled with reused wood in 17th century. Roof jacked up on elbow crucks and renewed, with tie beam shortened and reused as collar in 18th; clad in 19th.
Information from (S1).
Location from [1].

Apparently the same as Barford Road Cottages described in detail in (S2). Also mentioned there a 17th century lobby-entrance extension, and a date stone 1673 reset in garden wall perhaps from this latter wing.
E. Rose (NAU), 11 May 1983.

August 1983. Listed, Grade II.
See (S3) for the complete listing details.

January 1985.
South Norfolk District Council reports an additional upstairs fireplace on west side of stack discovered; brick arch, rounded in plan; had been sealed up, is now to be preserved.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 January 1985.

(S3) calls The Square; states date stone is 1674 not 1673 and could be in original position.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 March 1985.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • DATE STONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 535.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Article in Serial: [unknown]. NARG News. Vol 12, p 17.
<S2>Article in Serial: Atkins, M. W., Sutermeister, M. and Carter, A. 1978. Excavations in Norwich - 1977/8. The Norwich Survey - Seventh Interim Report. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVII Pt I pp 19-55. p 47.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050750.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service