Record Details

NHER Number:1377
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval malt house


This was the largest malt house in the country, measuring 95m by 9.3m. It was built in 1747 with building material from the Roman fort walls (NHER 1001). The building was demolished in the early 19th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 7930 4433
Map Sheet:TF74SE

Full description

Around 1770.
Malthouse built on this site from the material gained by demolishing the walls of the Roman fort. It was 95m (104 yards) long and 9.3m (10 1/4 yards) wide, the largest in Britain, for Brancaster had the largest malting trade in the country. The building was demolished in the early 19th century and some of the material was apparently taken to build Thorpeland lodge. (S1) describes it as double-roofed with a shaped gable, but dated 1747!
E. Rose (NLA).

(S2) describes further references, see (S3)
R. J. Rickett (NAU).

See the bibliography for NHER 1001 for references to recent publications which indicate that 1747 is a far more probable date for the demolition of the fort walls than 1770, which was assumed by R. R. Clarke (NCM) from Blomefield's date of publication.
E. Rose (NLA), 6 January 2004.

Monument Types

  • MALT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MALTINGS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Miscellaneous. Brancaster.
<S1>Serial: 1827. Woodward Correspondance. p 74.
<S2>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 74 SE 4.
<S3>Article in Serial: St. Joseph, J.K.. 1936. [unknown]. Antiquaries Journal. pp 444-5.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service