Record Details

NHER Number:13768
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval windmill

Summary

A windmill is shown at this location on Faden's map of 1797. It was demolished in 1870 and none of the structure survives above ground.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 194 969
Map Sheet:TM19NE
Parish:FLORDON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Windmill shown on Faden's map 1797 (S1).
Mentioned in sale catalogue 1869 (see (S2)).
No visible remains.
See (S3).
A smock mill demolished June 1870 - informant [1].
E. Rose (NAU), 2 February 1982.

Monument Types

  • WINDMILL (16th Century to 19th Century - 1540 AD to 1870 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Publication: 1869. Spelman Catalogue Supplement. NRO TY88A.
<S3>Article in Serial: Johnson, C. J. 1978. The Industrial Archaeology of Flordon. Journal of the Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society. Vol II No 3 pp 29-35. p 35.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service