Record Details

NHER Number:136
Type of record:Building
Name:1 Rosemary Lane (Pykerell's House)


A two storey L-shaped building with a thatched roof apart from a little pantiling to the left. The ground floor is rendered flint, the first floor timber framed. It is named after Thomas Pykerell, three times mayor from 1525, who probably added the front range at about the same date. The rear range was a late 15th century open hall complete with a full height oriel window, but is now floored. It has a fine Queen-post roof. The building was accurately restored after World War Two, but one should be aware that it was completely gutted by a bomb and only some timbers were good enough for re-use.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 22804 09091
Map Sheet:TG20NW

Full description

February 1954. Listed, Grade II*.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Former hall house, 15th century onwards.
Post world-war II renovations. Flint- rubble, rendered on street range. Brick. Rendered timber frame at first floor on street range. Thatch roof partly pantiled on street range. L- shape plan. Two storeys, jettied at first floor. Originally open-halled in rear range."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current details.
Amended H. Hamilton (HES), 8 November 2019.

This building is amongst those described in thesis (S2), which considers the 13th- to 17th-century buildings of Norwich.
P. Watkins (HES), 18 September 2017.

1976. Pykerell's House.
One sherd English Slipware found on surface of garden.

See press cutting (S3) in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 29 November 2004.

Survey for record and tour. Autumn 2015
Measured drawing of remarkbale queen post hall roof which, it is thought , to have been imported from another building. A curious fcat is that the sceens passage is incorporated within the cross wing reflecting the wrong length of the re-used roof. Very high status pair of hall bay windows with stone dresssings to the 4-centred arches. For further information see (S4).
S. Heywood (HES), 28 Septeber 2015

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Jennings, S. 1981. Eighteen Centuries of Pottery from Norwich. East Anglian Archaeology. No 13.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 235.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 286-187.
---Record Card: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Article in Serial: Revd J. F. Wiliams. 1949. Pykerell's House, St Mary's Plain, Coslany. The Archaeological Journal. Vol CVI pp 82-83.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1290996.
<S2>Thesis: Smith, R. 1990. An Architectural History of Norwich Buildings, c. 1200 - 1700. Unpublished Thesis. p 419.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2004. Secret of old house hidden in documents. 29 November.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2015. Pykerell's House, St Mary's Plain, Norwich.

Related records

Site 2970Parent of: 1 Rosemary Lane (Pyckerell`s House) (Monument)
Site 1568Parent of: 1 Rosemary lane (Pykerell's House) (Monument)
Site 3559Parent of: 1 Rosemary lane (Pykerell's House) (Monument)
Site 1570Parent of: 1 Rosemary Lane (Pykerell's House) (Monument)
Site 2626Parent of: 1 Rosemary Lane (Pykerell's House) (Monument)
Mon 809Parent of: 1 Rosmary Lane (Pykerell's House) (Monument)
Mon 1354Parent of: Coslany Street (North of St Miles Alley and West of Rosemary Lane) (Monument)
MNO7628Related to: No. 1 (Pykerell's House) Rosemary Lane (west side) NORWICH (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service