Record Details

NHER Number:13537
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post-medieval post mill

Summary

This mill mound supported a post mill. It was last turned by wind in 1908 and was demolished in 1911. Excavations on the site have revealed four large pillars that supported the mill structure.

Images - none

Documents/files/web pages

Location

Grid Reference:TM 0427 8606
Map Sheet:TM08NW
Parish:KENNINGHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Mill mound 0.5m high, 12m diameter - marked as windmill on (S1).
Information from (S2).

This, or NHER 13538, was a smock mill. Shown on (S3).

In fact this was a post mill. On (S4).

Last turned by wind 1908. Demolished 1911.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 March 1982.

April 1989.
Mound excavated by landowners and foundations of supporting pillars found - suggesting there may have been no roundhouse.
See (S5).
E. Rose (NAU), 26 April 1989.

Monument Types

  • POST MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDMILL MOUND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Website: Neville, J.. 2007. Kenninghall Mill Lane towermill. http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/Windmills/kenninghall-mill-lane-towermill.html. 31 May 2017.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 1st edition.
<S2>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 08 NW M [2].
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S4>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. Couple dig into the past and unearth a mill. 21 April.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service