Record Details

NHER Number:13314
Type of record:Building
Name:Gables Farm


This farmhouse is a late medieval first floor hall with a queenpost roof and solar. The chimney stack and kitchen were added in the 17th century. The brick extension to the east dates to 1731. The whole building was remodelled in the Regency period. There is a tall and narrow chequered brickwork 17th or 18th century threshing barn. Part of the barn may have been used as servants' accommodation. Further south there is a large 19th century brick barn.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3426 1158
Map Sheet:TG31SW

Full description

February 1978. Visit.
Against road, tall and narrow brick barn with gables, chequered brickwork, illegible date plaque. Apparently 17th century. Farmhouse in similar style, with date plaque that could read '16--', but much of outer brickwork 19th century.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 February 1978.

(S1) dates barn as 18th century. House dated 1731 on east gable but west range earlier. Two later two storeyed wings to north; off-centre axial stack not in line with door.
E. Rose (NAU), 27 November 1984.

September 2001.
Broadland District Council note that within barn is an inglenook fireplace and a stair, suggesting one end is older than the rest and was a house.
E. Rose (NLA), 19 September 2001.

May 2002. Visit.
The north gable of the small barn against the road has in addition an internal stack, two blocked first floor windows, a plinth and moulded springers overlain by the side walls. The bricks are in Flemish bond with burnt headers and diagonal skintlings. It could indeed be early 18th century as well as late 17th century. But the inglenook fireplace is of late type and the timber winding stair is certainly late in date in its upper section. Side walls have horizontal skintlings, probably 19th century as is roof and interior. It may suggest this was a timber framed building with brick gable, but why are there no returns? It may have been a dairy or servant accomodation - there is a copper by the fireplace. Further south is a large barn of brick with massive tiebeams, 19th century. The house was not inspected, but the east extenson and north wings have horizontal skintlings; the older part is rendered.
E. Rose (NLA), 31 May 2002.

Detailed examination of the farmhouse in 2006 revealed that it is a first floor hall with queenpost roof and solar, possibly once jettied, of late medieval date. Stack inserted and kitchen made in 17th century. Brick extension to east is indeed dated 1731, this is a marriage date relating to the Heath family of Hemblington hall. Remodelled in Regency period.
(S2) in file.
See also (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 16 February 2006.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (14th Century to 21st Century - 1400 AD to 2100 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (14th Century to 21st Century - 1400 AD to 2100 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
  • THRESHING BARN (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD to 2100 AD)
  • BARN (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1899 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 545.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1051493 and 1372680.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2006. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S3>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 2007. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2006. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLV Pt II pp 261-273. p 264.

Related records

MNO3450Related to: Outbuilding W of Gables Farmhouse Hemblington Hall Road HEMBLINGTON (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service