Record Details

NHER Number:13313
Type of record:Building
Name:The Grange, Little Plumstead

Summary

An early 19th century 'Gothick' house built out of re-used 16th century brick. The garden walls are battlemented, with Gothick gateways, and some 17th century brickwork. The former stable is also built out of re-uesde brick and has Gothick details. The house is marked on Faden's map of 1797 as Plumstead Hall, suggesting that it may have been a manor house, and the house has also been used as a rectory.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3146 1093
Map Sheet:TG31SW
Parish:GREAT AND LITTLE PLUMSTEAD, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Regency Gothick house of brick, two storeys, battlements, angle buttresses rising to turrets, projecting porch tower with internal vaulting, Gothick glazing bars to windows, and later additions in same style. However chequered brickwork south of porch appears 17th century. Perhaps an old house gothicised by addition of porch etc, though possibly locally made bricks give false impression, but size of bricks would be very unusual in that case.
Apparently derelict, inhabited by chickens and martins nests.
Visited E. Rose (NAU) 22 February 1978.

Marked on (S1) as Plumstead Hall, presumably therefore an older house altered.
(S2) notes as former Rectory and possible manor house.
Early 16th century range extended in 16th century and in about 1663. Restored in Gothick style in about 1830. Original plan 3 bay, present plan rectangular overlapping it on northwest. In other part, early 16th century rollmoulded bridging
joist and wave moulded common joists, other interior detail Gothick 1830s.
17th century stable, altered 19th century.
Garden walls with pinnacles etc.
E. Rose (NAU) 27 November 1984.

Inspection. August 2013.
Remains of a garden building in the style of an Ionic temple according to sale catalogue for the Grange. Large fragments of a carved stone entablature on a hill beyond the lake. See image library for further details.
S. Heywood (HES) 30 August 2013

Arthur Browne designed the ' Gothic House' in c. 1806 for Francis Gostling. See SNF89788 below.

Crest of Lion rampant holding standard with motto 'porro unum est necessarium'

Monument Types

  • GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LIVERY STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MANOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HA HA (19th Century to Unknown - 1806 AD (post))
  • IONIC TEMPLE (19th Century to Unknown - 1806 AD (post))
  • COMMEMORATIVE STONE (19th Century - 1816 AD to 1844 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 589.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Publication: Colvin, H.M.. 1978. A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects. p 150.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service