Record Details

NHER Number:13309
Type of record:Building
Name:Caradon and former veterinary hospital


An 18th century brick house, and a 19th century veterinary hospital, built around three sides of a courtyard. The hospital originally had a glass roof covering the yard, and was patronised by the Royal Family in the 19th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8272 2812
Map Sheet:TF82NW

Full description

Three sided court of flint buildings, mostly single storeyed with hayloft at northeast corner.
Yard roofed by pointed glass cover bearing metal letters 'Veterinary Establishment'.
Perhaps originally stables; 19th century.
Present use since at least early 20th century.
E. Rose (NAU) 20 February 1978.

October 1985. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
House, mid to late 19th century. Red brick, red pantiles. Two storeys, three bays. Two ground and three first floor sashes with glazing bars. Central doorcase has pilasters with simplified console bracket heads, entablature above. Dentil eaves cornice, two end stacks. Included for group value.
Information from (S2).
P. Watkins (HES), 17 September 2019.

Dates from after 1884 as not shown on (S1).
Iron letters now removed, but pair of statues of very unusual foxes on gateposts remains.
Now in poor condition. Comes within the curtilage of the listed building 'Caradon', described as a red brick 19th century house listed for group value only.
E. Rose (NAU) 18 December 1985.

Application to remove the glass roof in 1997 because it is dangerous.
E. Rose (NLA), 25 February 1997.

An exhibit at the National Museum of Horseracing, Newmarket, states that the surgery was begun in 1837 by a Dr Bowers. It was patronised by Royalty and Persimmon spent his last days here; the sling in which he was supported is now in the museum.
E. Rose (NLA), 27 May 1998.

February 2013. Desk-based Assessment.
Heritage Statement detailing known history and architectural features produced ahead of minor alterations to the main house and conversion of former veterinary complex to residential use. Probable late-Georgian red brick and flint house. A two-storey rear extension was built in 1806 (date and likely initials 'M G' are gouged on a brick over a window opening. In 1837, the property was sold to a veterinary surgeon who constructed additional buildings within the yard to the rear in the period 1837 to 1857. The property was to remain a veterinary surgery for almost 150 years and notably served the royal stud at Sandringham. The series of owners and dates are recorded on bricks on the eastern wing of the outbuildings.
See report (S3) for full details.
A. Yardy (HES), 16 June 2015. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 17 September 2019.

Monument Types

  • LIVERY STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1750 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • VETERINARY HOSPITAL (19th Century to Late 20th Century - 1837 AD to 1983 AD)
  • STATUE (Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1953 AD? to 2100 AD (post))

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 1st edition.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077784.
<S3>Unpublished Contractor Report: Selby, J. 2013. Heritage Statement: Caradon, The Green, East Rudham, Norfolk, PE31 8RD. John Selby.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service