Record Details

NHER Number:13306
Type of record:Building
Name:King's Head or The Crown public house


A 17th century brick inn, with 19th century alterations.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8275 2820
Map Sheet:TF82NW

Full description

Small blocked windows with hoodmoulds in flint north gable wall and north wall of rear wing suggest a 16th or 17th century origin for the building.
E. Rose (NAU) 20 February 1978.

Described as The Crown in (S1).
17th century with 19th century details.
Stack gables.
17th century wing attached at northeast, 2 storey with blocked openings and steep roof.
17th century openings also in main north gable, in other words, same locations as noted in 1978.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 October 1985.

NGR corrected from original TF 8278 2820.
M. Horlock (NLA), 15 April 2003.

Monument Types

  • INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 324.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service