|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Beeston Hall stables and Gothic Cottage|
An old flint wall is recorded as being part of a castle. It is in fact the only remaining wall of the demolished stables of Beeston Hall, which were built in Gothick style probably in the 1780s. The wall has been rebuilt into the side of Gothic Cottage. There is only one reused medieval stone in the buildings.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3405 2100|
|Parish:||NEATISHEAD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
'In the track which becomes the hall drive, to the left of the post office in Neatishead Street as one approaches from the A1151, is an ancient flint wall said to be part of a castle.'
May 1979. Visit.
This is in fact the stables of Beeston Hall, in Gothick style and presumably of the same date, 1780s. Of squared flint with brick trimmings, it has a central archway, with blank pointed windows each side, beyond these pilasters then pointed doorways. Adjoining on west is Gothic Cottage, two storeys with stepped gable. Only medieval work is a reset head corbel used as keystone of arch.
E. Rose (NAU), 16 May 1979.
- STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1780 AD to 2100 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 619. |
|<S1>||Publication: January 1977. Norfolk Fair. |
Related records - none
Find out more...