Record Details

NHER Number:12729
Type of record:Building
Name:Post medieval blacksmith's forge


A 19th century single storeyed brick forge, still in use.


  • The blacksmith's workshop in Heydon.  © Eastern Daily Press


Grid Reference:TG 113 273
Map Sheet:TG12NW

Full description

17 August 1977. Visited.
19th century single storey brick forge, still in use, and therefore has fire fittings etcetera. But for the same reason a detailed survey was not possible.
On southeast is a square building with a pyramidal roof topped by a louvred cupola bearing a weathervane.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 August 1977.

Newspaper cutting (S1) in file.

Monument Types

  • BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SITE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TG 1127AM - AN, AT - ABN.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. Back to the old forge. 14 August.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service