|Type of record:||Building|
This windmill is marked on Faden's map of 1797 was a post mill. The tower mill was built here in 1832. It was last used under wind power in 1929. During World War Two the windmill was adapted for use by the Home Guard who removed the onion cap of the windmill and added an extra storey to the structure and an iron access ladder. A granary used to be attached to the windmill. It is not clear when it was demolished. Excavations in the floor of the windmill uncovered the walls of an earlier building on the same site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7992 2531|
|Parish:||HARPLEY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
21 July 1977. Visit. Windmill.
Tall brick tower, mostly complete, now with iron ladder to top as if used as silo or suchlike.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 July 1977.
Marked on (S1). Then a post mill. Tower mill built 1838. Last used windpower 1929. The iron ladder is the remains of Home Guard activities after the top had been removed.
Information from H. Apling.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 February 1982.
13 July 1990. Visit.
See (S2) for photograph showing onion cap and attached granary of which the joist holes remain in the mill walls. Some machinery now in Great Bircham mill. Tower is built in English bond with extra storey added by Home Guard.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 July 1990.
December 1808, there was an advert in the Norfolk Chronicle for the sale of the original post mill on this site. The tower mill was built here in 1832 and ceased wind power in 1921 but carried on milling using an oil engine.
NIAS records (S4)
W. Arnold HES 11/01/11
December 2011. Planning Application.
Change of use for mill to domestic holiday let plus 2 new units adjoining mill. Removal of single storey stores and replacement with small area of single storey flat roof store.
See (S5) for further details.
Z. Dack (HES), 13 June 2012.
2011. Historic Building Recording.
A photographic survey of the mill and interior was carried out ahead of conversion work.
See report (S6) for further details.
A. Yardy (HES), 04 January 2013.
- WALL (Unknown date)
- GRANARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POST MILL (Post Medieval - 1797 AD to 1838 AD?)
- TOWER MILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1838 AD to 1929 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Article in Serial: Manning, D.. 1990. Harpley Windmill. NIAS Journal. Vol 4, no 5, p 198. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 387. |
|---||Photograph: Harpley Windmill. Print. |
|---||Monograph: Apling, H.. 1984. Norfolk Corn Windmills. Vol I. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1990. Building Report. Building Report. |
|<S4>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
|<S5>||Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application. |
|<S6>||Unpublished Report: Andersson, J. and Selby, J. 2010. Historic Building Recording Pro Forma Report. The Mill, Harpley. Historic Building Recording. |
|MNO306||Related to: Harpley Mill Mill Road HARPLEY (Revoked)|
Find out more...