Record Details

NHER Number:12637
Type of record:Building
Name:Great Plumstead Hall

Summary

An unusual hall, said to date from the late 17th century, with extensive 19th century Gothick alterations. The hall has shaped gables, Gothick windows, and a groin vaulted hall. The south front has an unusual arrangement of Classical and Gothick architectural details.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2937 1026
Map Sheet:TG21SE
Parish:GREAT AND LITTLE PLUMSTEAD, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Unusual building, constructed of rough brickwork, but with fine Gothic Revival stone doorways, windows etc.
South front has eaves supported on a colonnade of tall thin Tuscan columns with a central gable, yet there are Gothic windows set in this Classical arrangement. East side has an imitation Perpendicular door with a window over containing a genuine 17th century stained glass roundel. Hall behind is groin vaulted on head corbels, with a similar bathroom off, and beyond the main staircase with stone Gothic balusters.
Owner knows nothing of history except that it was once two cottages.
Suggest Gothic details of about 1850.
Fair condition.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 20 July 1977.

Photograph of garden front in (S1) (not seen on above visit) shows a central single bay of 2 storeys with shaped gables.
Central gothick windows, lower a bay window. To right a low Gothick wing, to left plainer Victorian Tudor wing, both two storeys but lower than central bay. House stated to date to reign of William and Mary, which might fit the shaped gables.
E. Rose (NAU) 22 March 1983.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. Norfolk hall bought by Dutch couple. 21 March.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service