Record Details

NHER Number:12610
Type of record:Building
Name:39 to 41 The Street


A post medieval timber framed house that is now subdivided into three properties. Built during the 17th century, possibly on a brick plinth, the timber frame is infilled with wattle and daub and is rendered. There is a central 17th century chimney stack and 19th century stacks at each end.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1009 1179
Map Sheet:TG11SW

Full description

1977. Visit.
House. Timber framed, wattle and daub, revealing by falling external plaster. Lower parts of walls brick, but not possible to see if a plinth or a skin. Tile roof. Central chimney on original position. 19th century stacks at each end. Bad condition. Rented to tenants.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 July 1977.

Restored; upper studding and straight corner braces revealed.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 June 1981.

(S1) dates it to 17th century. Two storeys and attic, lobby entrance - no other details beyond above given.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 November 1984.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1170745.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service