Record Details

NHER Number:12394
Type of record:Building
Name:Costessey Park House

Summary

This 16th or 17th century house was completely refurbished in the 19th century. It is built of colour washed flint and brick walls, has a pantile roof and a barrel vaulted cellar. Located in Costessey Park, it was either originally a predecessor to Costessey Hall (NHER 7913) or a dower house associated with it. There are stables with a clock turret and a barn. Both were built in 1784 and are attributed to Sir John Soane.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1638 1150
Map Sheet:TG11SE
Parish:COSTESSEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

April 1978. Visit.
A dower house, 15th century, hall house much altered according to cutting in (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 26 April 1978 .

April 1983. Listed, Grade II.
House as 17th century much altered. Originally a dower house. Colour washed flint and brick walls with pantiled roof. Completely refurbished in 19th century, top storey all 19th century. Brick barrel vaulted cellar.
Stables have central pediment, six round headed windows to rear, two lunettes upper floor (modern windows in façade). Clock turret.
Barn in similar style with king post roof, connected to stables by the semi circular wing.
Barn and stable 1784, attributed to Sir John Sloane.
E. Rose (NLA), 16 September 1996.

1996.
Two storeyed, with stepped gables, projecting porch towers at each end and in centre on both sides, thus giving a double E-shape. Central north porch has its stepped gable lowered over a 19th century extension. Much more work of late date, but basic work seems late 16th century. To north, U-shaped range of barn, stables etc. supposed to be 1784 and attributed to Soane.
Stables severely damaged by fire September 1996. See (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 16 September 1996.

1999.
Proposals for Research Campus at Costessey Park House.
See application (S7) and newspaper articles (S8) for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 11 March 2015.

2000.
(S4) states that this is the original Costessey Hall, which he states was moved south of the river in the 16th century. he says that a survey has shown the wings are later than the main building but does not give details. This does not explain however why (S5) marks Lodge Farm, south of the Norwich Road, as Costessey Old Hall, a point (S4) does not mention.
E. Rose (NLA), 10 January 2000.

(S6) (1997, 1999 and 2002) in file.

August 2010. Norfolk NMP.
See records NHER 54488-9 for details of medieval to post medieval earthworks within the area of the Park, including a possible medieval hollow way to the immediate south of the house.
S. Horlock (NMP), 18 August 2010.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CELLAR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 271-272.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Archive: Bolingbroke Collection.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1050760 and 1170456.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Arson raid wrecks stables. 16 September.
<S4>Publication: Gage, E.. 1990. Costessy Hall.
<S5>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1838. First edition one inch map.
<S6>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S7>Unpublished Document: Moore, P. 1999. Costessey Park House. Proposed Research Campus. Purcell Miller Tritton and Partners.
<S8>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. [Articles on the proposed restoration of the Costessey Hall and stables as a research facility].

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service