|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Lowes Farm, Hunworth Road, Edgefield|
A 17th century brick farm house, with several blocked 17th century windows, and decorative brickwork on the gables. The house has a 19th century extension, and was restored in the 1970s. In 2011 a programme of historic building recording was undertaken to record the barns ahead of proposals to reconstruct and convert the buildings.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0775 3542|
|Parish:||EDGEFIELD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
May 1975. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
“House, dated 1637 on internal post, with later additions. Coursed flint with brick dressings, steep pantile roof. Single range, 4 bays, 2 storeys and attic. Internal gable end stacks with shafts set back from gables; projecting gable parapets.”
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
P. Beers (HES), 26 November 2020.
Brick house dated 1637 on post in parlour.
Above are initials 'GAR - RAG' (possibly an example of 17th century fashionable reversed inscriptions).
Usual small blocked windows in gable either side of chimney but one retains a mullion.
Many blocked windows in rear.
See building survey (S2).
November 2011. Historic Building Recording.
The Farmhouse is a grade II listed building. The range of barns comprises a two storey barn at the eastern end, cart sheds and stores in the centre, and a further partially enclosed cart shed with an open elevation facing west.
The two storey barn at the eastern end is either for hand fail threshing or for use as a chaff house with a central bay possibly used as a threshing floor. The large doorways would have allowed cart access to the building. The barn is constructed from brick and flint in a checkerboard pattern with brick quoins. The roof is in five bays with a larger central bay over the threshing floor with four timber 'A' frame trusses and two timber ties at the gables. The range of cart sheds is divided into two sections of roughly equal proportions by a random flint wall with both the east and west sections split into three bays with timber columns supporting the roof structure. The partially enclosed cartshed is constructed from red brick laid in Flemish bond with the roof structure divided into three bays by 'A' frame timber roof trusses supporting a single row of purlins to each pitch.
See report (S3) for further details.
S. Howard (HES), 21 December 2011.
October 2020. Minor Amendment to Listing.
The mapped location of this record has been corrected.
When Listed in May 1975, this record was located at TG 07773 35435. This incorrectly placed it off the building. It has been moved approximately 50m to the south-west of this point and is now located at TG 07728 35412, Lowes Farm House, Hunworth Road, Edgefield.
See Minor Amendment notification (S4) for further details.
P. Beers (HES), 26 November 2020.
Published summary (S5), 2011 Planning application (S6), record card (S7), 2000 newspaper article (S8), 1975 newspaper article (S9), and photograph (S10).
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CART SHED (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049207. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: NARG Building Survey. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Report: Schofield, T. 2011. Historic Building Recording for the Reconstruction and Convertion of Lowes Farm Barns, Edgefield, Norfolk. Historic Building Recording. |
|<S4>||Designation: Historic England. 2014-present. National Heritage List for England Minor Amendment Notification. Notification. DNF5186, List Entry 1049207, 21 October 2020. |
|<S5>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 454. |
|<S6>||Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application. |
|<S7>||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S8>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2000. Tranquil spot with centuries of style. 11 August. |
|<S9>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1975. Ancient house recalls an iniquitous tax. 17 December. |
|<S10>||Photograph: SD, SD(2). |
Related records - none
Find out more...