Record Details

NHER Number:11877
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval windmill


The site of a windmill is marked at this location on Faden's map of 1797. Documentary sources suggest that this building was built in 1773 and was dismantled in 1920. An earlier post mill on the site was blown down in 1770. A millstone from one of the mills has been reused as a doorstep. The cropmarks previously recorded under this number are now part of NHER 38746.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3919 2935
Map Sheet:TG32NE

Full description

Cropmarks apparently of old field system, surrounding Mill Farm.
Rectangles askew to present fields and passing under road (B1159) so obviously predating this.
Aerial photographs checked by E. Rose (NAU), 1 December 1976.

January 1981. Visit.
(S1) shows a windmill here. Exact location of mill is at TG 3912 2932 (Context 1).
Informant [1]'s records state it was a post mill, blown down in a gale December 1770; rebuilt 1773; passed to a Mr Bates 1890; dismantled 1920. Mill stone remains as doorstep to house.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 January 1981.

August 2004. Norfolk NMP.
Cropmarks previously recorded under this number have been moved to NHER 38746.
J. Albone (NMP), 20 August 2004.

Monument Types

  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1773 AD to 1920 AD)

Associated Finds

  • MILLSTONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG 3929A-E.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service