|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Former Red Lion Inn, now Council Offices|
The rear north wing dates to the 17th century. The south portion of the front range was built around 1800, with the north part of this south range being added in the early 19th century. The south range has an impressive late Georgian façade. Originally the south range extended further west beyond the carriage arch.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9194 2967|
|Parish:||FAKENHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Former Red Lion Inn, now Council offices.
Impressive late Georgian facade block; 17th century rear wing (now part housing).
See (S1), and (S2) in file.
August 1982. Visit.
Repair work required plaster removal. Survey suggests the Red Lion continued to the east, with one open room across the carriage arch continuing further and that this end was removed when the adjacent shop was rebuilt further westwards than before.
E. Rose (NAU), 19 August 1982.
- INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: SB 1-20, CBM 2-3. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1978. Hotel to become offices. 28 April. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 92 NW 22. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 459. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Richmond, H. (RCHB) and Taylor, R. (RCHB). 1973. Red Lion Inn, Market Place. September. |
|<S2>||Photograph: Norfolk Archaeological Research Group. 1975. Red Lion Photographic Survey. |
Related records - none
Find out more...