Record Details

NHER Number:11600
Type of record:Building
Name:Grove House

Summary

This early 17th century house is T shaped with six bays in the main wing with 19th century octagonal chimneys. The east wall is flint whereas the façade is plastered.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9190 2949
Map Sheet:TF92NW
Parish:FAKENHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

September 1976. Visit.
August 1983. Visit. Grove House.
Very fine early 17th century house, T shaped. Six bays in main wing, octagonal chimneys. East wall against Tunn Street contains several windows blocked with brick, this wall is flint whereas facade is plastered. E. Rose (NAU) suggests early 17th century windows cut by late 17th/18th, all altered in 19th century. Octagonal chimneys are 19th century. West end of house shows signs of subsidence.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 September 1976 and 22 August 1983.

At north end Tunn Street frontage (perhaps not same property) windows surrounds have blocks of reused limestone and one block ironbound conglomerate.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 May 1988.

For comments on former gardens see (S1).

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Country comes to town at Grove House. 15 May.
---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 459.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Taigel, A. 1997. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume One. Norfolk Gardens Trust.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service